WILLIAM F. SHEPHERD
Born: 1943, Casper, WY.
1976 University of Wyoming, M.F.A.
1974 University of Wyoming, B.A.
1986 Visiting Artist, Eastern Montana State College, Billings Selection Committee, New Mexico Museum of Natural History
1985 Juror for Art in Public Places, Santa Fe, New Mexico
1978 Two month residency at Yaddo, Saratoga Springs, New York
1978 Invited artist, Yaddo, Saratoga Springs, NY.
1974 Visiting Artist, Sun Valley Center for the Arts and Humanities, Idaho
ONE PERSON EXHIBITIONS
2008 William Shepherd: Reviewing the West, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· William Shepherd: Reviewing the West, Nicolaysen Museum & Discovery Center, Casper, WY
2002 Recent Paintings, Munson Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1998 Recent Paintings, J. Cacciola Gallery, New York, NY
1996 William Shepherd, Recent Works, J. Cacciola Gallery, New York, NY
1994 Recent Paintings, Davis McClain Gallery, Houston, TX
1991 Events about a Rectangle, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, IA
· Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, Indianapolis, IN
· Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1986 Bill Shepherd/Paintings, Gerald Peters Gallery, Dallas, TX
· Bill Shepherd/Paintings, Amarillo Art Center, TX
· Bill Shepherd/Paintings, Cadme Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
1984 Davis McClain Galleries, Houston, TX
1982 Waterworks, Davis McClain Galleries, Houston, TX
1980 Water Works, Munson Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
2012 The Prix de West, National cowboy and western heritage museum, Oklahoma City, OK
2011 The West Select Phoenix Art Museum
2010 Masters of the American West, Autry National center, Los Angeles, CA
· Coors Western Art Exhibit And Sale, Denver, Co
2009 Masters of the American West, Autry National Center, Los Angeles, CA
· Coors Western Art Exhibit and Sale, Denver, CO
2008 Defining the West: Two Hundred Years of American Imagery, Gerald Peters Gallery, New York, Dallas, Santa Fe
· American Art in Miniature, Gilcrease Musueum of the Americas, Tulsa, OK
2007 Out West: The Great American Landscape, Meridian International Center, Washington, DC;
· National Art Museum of China, Beijing, Shanghai Museum
2006 Spring Forward, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· Spirited Expressions, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
2005 Good HeArt, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· Selection of New Works from Gallery Artists, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· Masters of Illusion, 150 Years of Tromp l'Oile in America, Kresge Art
· Museum, Michigan State Univ. East Lansing MI
· Contemporary Gallery Selections, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
2004 Landfall Press: A Singular Vision, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· Selections from Gallery Artists, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
2003 Three by Five to Eleven by Fourteen: Gallery Selections, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· Representing Representation VI, Arnot Art Museum, Elmira, NY
· The Best of Classical and Contemporary Realism, Leslie Levy Fine Arts Inc., Scottsdale, AZ
2001 Exhibition of U.S. Ambassadorial Collection, U.S. Ambassadors Residence, Dublin, Ireland
· 8th Annual Realism Invitational, Van de Griff/Marr Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· A Show of Colors, an exhibition to benefit the Red Cross National Disaster Relief Fund, Munson Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
2000 Real Illusion, Van de Griff Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1997 William Shepherd/Tony Berlant, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1995 Exhibition of U.S. Amassadorial Collection, Residence of U.S. Ambassador Mark Grossman, Ankhara, Turkey
1993 Still Life: 1963-1993, Gerald Peters Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1991 The Hubbard Museum Invitational, Ruidoso, NM
· A Sense of Place; Wilderness Society Benefit, PeytonWright Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1990 Wade Wilson Gallery, Inc., Chicago, IL
· New Art of the West, Eiteljorg Museum Invitational, Indianapolis, IN
1988 The Face of the Land, Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Loretto, PA
1987 Boundless Realism: Contemporary Landscape Painting of the West, The Rockwell Museum, Corning, NY
1986 New Mexico Tapestry . . . Images of Our Own, The Fine Arts Gallery, Albuquerque, NM
1984 Landscape Seen, Museum of Fine Arts, Santa Fe, NM
· Davis McClain Galleries, Houston, TX
· Landscape Invitational, Santa Fe Festival of the Arts, Sweeney Center, NM
1982 Paintings of the Land, Davis McClain Galleries, Houston, TX
1981 Four Person Show, Hills Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
· Rosalind Constable Presents, Sweeney Center, Santa Fe, NM
· New Works New Mexico, Sarah Campbell Blaffer Gallery, University of Houston, TX
· Best of Decade Exhibit, Hill's Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
1978 Billings Art Show, Yellowstone Art Center, MT
· Washington Jefferson National Painting Show, Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, PA
1977 Wyoming State Art Gallery, Wyoming State Archives and Historical Department, Cheyenne, WY
1976 Sixth Washington Jefferson National Painting Show, Washington and Jefferson College,Washington, PA
· Two Realists, Yellowstone Art Center, Billings, MT
1975 Four Realists, Student Center Gallery, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
1974 12th Annual Benedictine Art Awards, Benedictine Wine Corporation, New York, NY
1973 International Cyclopedia of Plans and Occurrences, Anderson Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
· Fifth Washington Jefferson National Painting Show, Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, PA
1972 Wyoming Arts, University of Wyoming Art Museum, Laramie
PUBLIC COLLECTIONS AND COMMISSIONS
Commerative Stamp: “Unidos Para la Conservacion - Marsopa Vaquita”, July,1997, Servicio Postal Mexicano. Mexico City. Mx
Commerative stamp: July, 2000. “Unidos Para La Conservacion, El Manati” Servicio Postal Mexoicano. Mexico City, Mx
Agrupaccion Seirra madre, Y Unidos Para La Conservacion Mexico City, Mx.
Butler Institute of fine Art, Youngstown, OH
Buffalo Bill Historical Center
Amoco Oil, Houston, TX
Andrews & Kurth, Houston, TX
Central Bank, Denver, CO
Goodstein Oil, Casper, WY
Hooper & Associates, Dallas, TX
IT&T, Basking Ridge, NJ
Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, St. Louis, MO
Lockheed Corp., Houston, TX
Majestic Savings & Loan, Denver, CO
Mitchell Oil, Denver, CO
Museum of Fine Arts, Santa Fe, NM
Nicolaysen Art Museum, Casper, WY
Northwest Pipeline, Denver, CO
Phoenician Resort, Scottsdale, AZ
Prudential Insurance Company, Newark, NJ
St. Louis Art Museum, MO
Tenneco, Inc., Houston, TX
The Blount Collection, Montgomery Museum of Fine Art, Montgomery, AL
The Denver National Bank, Denver, CO
The Olga Hirshhorn Collection, Washington, DC
Trunkline Gas, Houston, TX
United Bank of Denver, CO
United Energy Resources, Houston, TX
University of Wyoming Art Museum, Laramie
Valley Bank of Nevada, Las Vegas
Wellington Management Co., MA
PRIVATE COLLECTIONS AND COMMISSIONS
Mr. Vice President Richard and Mrs. Lynne Cheney
Mr. and Mrs. Art and Catherine Nicholas
Mr. Hayden Carruth
Mr. William Carpenter
Mr. Jordan Cronenweth
Mr. Walter Forbes
Mr, and Mrs. John Freund
Mr and Mrs. Leo Gans
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Gans
Mr. and Mrs.Doyle Hartman
Mr. and Mrs. William Jans
Mead Martin and Robin Mckinney
Mr. Gerald Peters
Mr. Robert Redford
Govenor/Ambassador and Mrs. Michael Sullivan
Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Wyatt
· Corinne Joy Brown, Western Art And Architecture, In The Studio, Summer/Fall, 2011, p. 98 -104
· Points West, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Bill Shepherd, Poultry Mashes. 2011. PP.29
· Arte Y Libertad IV, Libro anuario, Madrid Spain, 2010
· “The Art Collection of Ambassador and Mrs. Keith Lapham Brown, United States Residence, Copenhagen, Denmark,” Art in Embassies, pp. 23, 33, 1990.
· “The City of Holy Faith,” Art & Antiques, April 1986, p. 84.
· Cohen, Edie Lee. “Sight Specific,” Interior Design, August 1986, p. 226.
· D'Ambrosio, Nancy. “Visions of Magic,” Horizon, October 1987, p.47.
· Dillard, Betty. “Teutanic Treasures,” Texas Homes, July 1985, p. 110.
· “Dukes and Dudes: The New Santa Fe,” Town & Country, July 1984, p. 105.
· Duty, Michael. “New Art of the West,” Eiteljorg Museum of American Indian and Western Art, Indianapolis, 1990, pp. 6970.
· Duty, Michael. “William Shepherd: Reviewing the West,” Gerald Peters Gallery, 2008.
· Ellis, Nancy. “To Thine Own Self 'Portrait' Be True,” Southwest Profile, September 1989, pp. 2021.
· Everingham, Carol J., “Bill Shepherd Biliteral/Bilateral Rocks,” Artspace, Spring 1983, Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 5657, 83.
· Fauntleroy, Gussie. “Crossing Borders,” Southwest Art, March 2003
· Vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 42, 45. Interior Design, February 1983, p. 191.
· Krantz, Les. American Artists: An Illustrated Survey of Leading Contemporary Americans, Chicago, p. 239, 296.
· Manchester, Robert C. “Boundless Realism: Contemporary Landscape Painting of the West,” The Rockwell Museum, 1987, p 27, 36, 39.
· Olejarz, Harold. “Raye Rosow/Bill Shepherd,” Arts Magazine, January 1979, Vol. 52, no. 5, p. 17.
· Perry, Susan. “A contempo Santa Fe/LA art connection,” The Santa Fe New Mexican.
· Peterson, William. “Bill Shepherd/Paintings,” Gerald Peters Gallery, 1986.
· Peterson, William. “Smoke rings, Shinto shrines, Doktor Thrill and the Snake Lady,” Art News, December 1980, Vol. 79, no. 10, p. 136.
· Stegmaier, Mark E., “Bill Shepherd,” American Artist, April 1988, pp. 7074.
· Tennant, Donna. “A Stunning Show,” Houston Chronicle, February 78, 1981, pp. 16, 36.
· “Titans And Tornadoes, ”Art & Antiques, December 1986, p. 37.